Friday, October 21, 2011

Seduced by a nap.

The other day Cale told me I need to have an alarm clock in my room. 
"I dont need another alarm clock." I told him. "I have 4!  One of you guys always wake me up!"
I chuckled at how confused Cale was; tried to deter him from continuing on in his 'quest' to set my alarm clock at 7am...then thought of how it had been 4 1/2 years since Tim or I were able to wake up on our own. 

I mean...sleeping in until you feel rested enough to wake? 

Someone without children remind me...how does it go again? 
What motivates you to even get out of bed?
Hunger??  I feel like I could push that feeling aside for at least half a day in order to continue sleeping....
I, obviously can't think of anything else more important (especially on a Saturday) to warrant one's desire to get out from underneath the covers.........

Now I will say that my husband puts my sleep needs above his. 
Perhaps it's a peace offering for the shebeast that I become when I don't get near enough sleep, or perhaps he really does love me as much as he says he does...but either way, I'll take it.
Sleeping in is nice....But lets call a spade a spade - this is: sleeping in with children afoot.
Meaning underneath my room...banging around, yelling, crying. 
These munchkins don't value sleeping in - they don't put it way up high on a pedistool where it belongs amongst all other desired activities............. :)
No, the munchkins find it bothersome...they fight it...they take it away from you.
They STEAL!!
Yes, I love them.
BUT, I love them more in a special way when they are all asleep at the same time...

Because then I can't fight it....

"Come hither" says naptime,
"Lay down for awhile.
those dishes can wait;
Take your feet off the tile."

"Rest your head on me, 'pillow'
and close tired eyes.
Turn the DVR off,
television tells lies..."

"Feeling chilled?" questions Blanket...
 "I always feel warm.
There's no need to go out;
I heard there's a storm..."

"Lights out!" demands Darkness!
"Conceal that bright sun!
Come pretend it is nightime;
when today's work is done."

Spend an afternoon drifting
In the ease of a stream...
Set sail on a mattress;
Wash away in a dream...

Naptime doesn't need to put on all her charms for me. 
A simple smile will do.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I have been following your blog for quite awhile and am rarely a commenter, but just wanted to say that I too love naps and I hope your naps continue for a long time, my 3 have all stopped napping and I long for naptime to suddenly start happening again. You family is beautiful and I have really enjoyed your sharing it with me in internet land!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh! Before we brought the boys home, the number one comment I heard was "enjoy your sleep now..." and I totally didn't get/appreciate it. I yearn for sleep now. I appreciate the days when I can sleep in until 6 am. Here's to hoping you get a few extra minutes here and there...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete