Sunday, March 18, 2012

"the" post

I've been advertising the fact that I would write a "remember-when" post about the babies....
I had intended for it to appear posted before their first birthday.  However, since that day has come and gone and they're fast approaching 13 months...I must quickly type this out (while they sleep).
Nostalgia?
It comes in so many forms these days.  Perhaps because we are still without cable (the time sucker I have come to realize it is) and any form of internet that goes beyond the speed of dial-up (which I am currently using)....but I have found so many moments where just one tiny thought overwhelms me.
At the old house, a drive to Walmart, Target, grocery stores, the mall...anywhere really, was no more than 5 minutes. 
Now it takes 5 minutes of curvy back roads to get on the main road that leads to the highway that takes us to those stores.
No matter....that fact alone sends my mind swirling back to the days I drove out to my dad's house and how they were "back-country" roads like ours.
Off Opossumtown Pike road it's a left turn that shuts my mind off from the things that I need to do that day and what's for dinner...planning birthday parties and mentally folding clothes.
That left turn and that 5 extra minutes causes my mind to slow way down like the speed limit and to wind through my memories as the road curves. 
And upon taking that left turn the "remember-when" song begins to play.
I think of how old my children are now...making up stories to tell each other and singing songs together.  I flip through pictures in my brain as I peek in the rear-view mirror of one baby with socks and another without.  They are so much older now.  With the ability to solve tiny little problems:
I dont like my socks on.  I can take them off if I pull on them. 
(Sock-hater =Thad.) ;)
The twins first month was spent in the NICU.  I drove every day, if not twice a day to see them.
270 N to the 7th street exit. 
I pass that exit so very often now and I sometimes catch myself wanting to get in that left lane and put on my blinker.  Oddly enough, I want to go back and scoop them up, one in each hand.  I want to lay them on my chest and watch them sleep.......
That part of their life is over.  They are strong and use their muscles to wiggle away from hugs lasting longer than a few seconds.  They are quick and cunning!  Rarely there is a quiet moment, but if there is one it's probably because they're up to no good. 
Just today Shepherd observed that when Mommy & Daddy forget to put the gate up, the stairs are a upscale tunnel leading to the forbidden playground that is the bathroom (and tub)....
Both are such beautiful little individuals who act so differently.

Shepherd is truly a shepherd.  Mild mannered, and tender.  He tends to reserve his emotions, but already knows exactly what he wants (ie: only allowing Mommy to put him to bed.)
 Thaddeus is as his name means - a brave heart.  He, of all my boys, is truly fearless. As I "knock on wood," I predict he will be our first ER visit.  

Tim and I had the opportunity to attend a leadership dinner with fellow church members yesterday, and wouldn't you know it?  We were at a table with 2 other sets of twin parents.  Our twins are by far the youngest, one set in their teens, and the other in their twenties. 
The 28-year-old identical twin boys married identical twin girls.
Their father spoke of how incredibly close they are...the fact that they never thought they would marry b/c they didn't think they could be apart much from the other....  They had a double wedding and live in houses next to each other.

While I don't really think Thad and Shep will be inseperable as that 28 year old pair, I do hope and pray they remain close. Close to each other, close to their parents, and most importantly close to God.
Because I must agree with my (almost) 5 year old, because he is totally right -
God is really super amazing!!

As are these 2 little humans He gave us to care for:
The below picture truly encapsulates the dinstinctions in their personalities and way they interact.  Thad is unafraid and willing to try...anything,
and Shepherd is always in hysterics to watch from close by and cheer him on. :) 
How could I not Looooooove them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment