Thursday, September 13, 2012

an answer for my husband

Since this will be our last little papoose, I can do something I normally did not dare attempt.
I picture life in the future. 
Usually I manage my life and expectations in the moment. 
I make and clean up meals, change diapers, manage naptime...now adding 'put and take a child off the bus' on the list.....sometimes throwing in a twist of having friends over or attending a MOPS meeting, but the day in-day out routine remains relatively unchanged.
I didn't picture "an end in sight" because I didn't feel like our family was complete. 
I do understand to some that this sounds crazy.   I so often hear friends and even family saying "I dont know how you do it......." 
Well, sometimes I don't either...but I do it because ultimately I love it.
I wanted a big family, and I knew it would take years and years of baby & toddlerdom before we could come up from the deep end.
But I feel complete now, and even though she's not yet here I can envision things that are 'just around the corner.'
It's really a mere 6 more years before everyone is in school.

Going by days that seems like an eternity...
...but on the flip side - I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how Cale is 5 years old already! 
But then I know.  All of us with young children know don't we?
The days are long...(ever so long sometimes)...but the years are short.

We're coming up on our 8th anniversary.
I know each year I say it...but it's hard to believe. 
And how can Tim be turning 30 already? Where is the young 22 year old I married?! :)
(gotta make sure he's reading my blog!!:)

He did ask me the other day what I thought I would do with my time when all the kids are in school.
I didn't have an answer beyond "sleep" at the moment he asked...but I'd like to think I'd take a class or two.  When I was a teen looking forward to graduation I felt I would enjoy attending Beauty School or trying my luck in the Culinary world.  ...With my palate on the simpler side I opted for the former, but I would very much enjoy taking a cooking class or two. 
I've also been wildly fascinated with ASL, and would love to learn to speak sign language.
So that's what I'd do.
I can also hope to become a fraction of what my close friend and mentor Wendy Krop does and formulate and strengthen relationships with women/teens...and truly mean it.  She is an inspiration to me and a post about what kind of person she is and what I aspire to be is not far off.

So...expect great things from me in 6 years.  Well, lets give it 6 1/2. 
There's truth at my initial answer - I do plan to sleep for at least half of that first year everyone is in school. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment