Saturday, September 15, 2012

This actually happened.

I kid you not. 
This did actually happened:
I drove out to Hagerstown to drop off some clothes for the consignment sale last weekend.
As I stepped out of the car I noticed an older man walking through the parking lot of the Best Western Hotel the event was being held at.
Sometimes when you're looking at someone - even for a brief moment, they will notice. 
This man seemed friendly enough and said hello.
I returned with a smile and a hi.
Assuming this was the end of our interlude, I was taken aback when he didn't stop walking, but said matter-of-factly: "You're having a girl."
What? I asked....somewhat stunned.
"You're having a girl, I can tell.  You're belly is high, if it was a boy, it'd be low."
Well, I am...so I agreed with him, but thought it so strange.
He finished with one statement, then passed around the corner out of sight "...believe me, I know."

I truly am not offended.  The fact is - he's correct.  I am pregnant. 
And the baby is a girl...but it was odd, right? 
I can definitely write it down in my life's journal as "highly unusual."

There's a knowledge of one's pregnancy with a women who wears certain clothes or waddles a certain way...but I am not necessarily there yet.   My belly is protruding ever more each week...but I'm still in the "don't guess in case you're wrong" stage.  This man not only took the liberty to assume he was right about the pregnancy, but announced the gender as if he was my obstetrician.
...And once again, I am stunned at all the different kinds of people in the world. ;)
By the way - I was 18 weeks at the time...

Would YOU have guessed if you didn't know me? 

2 comments:

  1. No. I will never, never, never ask a woman if she is pregnant, or presume that she is, unless I am absolutely certain. I have been asked "so when are you due?" more times than I count, and many of those times I wasn't even pregnant. It's hurtful.
    Also...many people told me when I was pregnant with Trevor that it was a girl. They were wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a long torso and carried Caroline very low. Everyone said I was having a boy except my ob. She was right :)

    ReplyDelete