Friday, June 7, 2013

K done

This might step on a few toes...
I assure you it is not meant to do it.
Homeschooling moms, home-schooled kids - I mean you no harm!! :)

I'm just feeling very good about Cale's first year of school.
As he came flying off the bus After he carefully (and sloooowly) chose a snack from the box of goodies his bus driver was offering, he stepped down off the bus and greeted me with his usual big giant grin.
"I'M IN FIRST GRADE NOW!"
The kids face was one big smile.
He got to take home his clip that his teacher had been using all year to keep track of everyone's behavior (and informing parents of such).  He had tons of papers he was just dying for me to see.  And he had a few new books for 'summer reading.'

As Neve and I cozied up on our bellies, sprawled out on the outside blanket I flipped through the papers in his bookbag.  Not unlike any other day of the school year...but this was his LAST day of Kindergarten.  He's done!
Little stories he's written, math problems solved...and at the end of his paperwork - signatures from all his friends.  I had heard their names throughout the year and got glimpses of their faces when I came in to meet his teacher, but they were little people too.  Cale's friends.
I asked him if he'd miss his friends next year or his teacher...but, he didn't seem bothered.
A tiny little Kindergarten year book has me reeling back to my years in school and I started choking up.
Is that bizarre?!
His teacher has gotten to know him...he's influenced (whether he knows it or not) other children, and they have him.  He "lived" in the real world for his first year and survived!
And he loved it!
While I perused the rest of his 'artwork' and report card he took out his notebook (the kid LOVES to write) and started saying how much he loves the summer and how he can't wait for school to start cuz he'll be in first grade!
I know it's sorta strange for some - thinking that their children will be away from home for so long, but Cale's empowered!  He's been able to enrich other people's lives at his tiny age (even the janitor was fond of him!), and others have influenced his.

So, I thanked God for his little school (wonderful that He answered my prayer for something small and quaint) and that he had a young, energetic and vibrant teacher.  And that his little heart is strong and would let us know if he heard something "we shouldn't say."
Cale is cool.
I look forward to the summers weeks, and the start of his 1st grade year!

Starting Kindergarten - August 2012
 Ending Kindergarten - June 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment