Saturday, November 5, 2011

Only Treats. :)

Halloween started early this year. 
It started off when I dug out the box of halloween costumes from the box that was (of course) buried way back in our storage unit.
Quite a selection this year, I must say.
My mom LOVES a good sale just as much as I do, so when she showed up with Halloween costumes that she purchased last Novemeber (for 90% off) we both experienced quite the rush!!
Once I got the box out I immediately began playing dress up (yep...with my BOYS). :)
Cale was totally into it....mainly because he has the memory of an elephant and insisted on knowing how many days until Trick or Treating began...but also because he loves to see me excited.
I started with Cale and Shepherd (since T and M were asleep at the time).
Shepherd the Banana with Cale the Fire Cheif:
Cale as Mr. Potato Head:
sorry buddy...Buzz Lightyear ain't gonna work for ya this year... ;)
Then Megersa woke up...
Megersa the Dinosaur (ferocious, no?) ;)

Megersa the Bumblebee:
Megersa the Monkey:
Spiderman Megersa:
And last, but not least baby T joined in on the fun.
Thaddeus the Penguin:
I knew that the twins were going to be Chickens because my mom bought them matching costumes...
But I did ask the boys which costume they preferred.  Cale chose to be the Fireman. Megersa wanted to be the Monkey (because it was the only costume that had a "hat" like Cale's did).
So, with them all dressed up together, I had to TRY to get all of them in a good shot. 
We came close - 75% (Shep doesn't dig the all boy photo shoot like the others do.)
and...that was just dress-up.
I took the boys to a Pumpkin Patch one weekend.  They had a trick-or-treating trail in the wooded area of the field.  It was a fun surprise for the boys to get a jumpstart on the sugary goodness:



((I know my boys aren't really enamored by Super Heros on a regular day-to-day basis...but I was impressed to see all my favorites passing out treats. :))
On Saturday the 29th, the Westview Promenade had Trick or Treating in their stores. 
I had planned on taking the boys even before I checked the weather because I had already missed other opportunities for fun in the area! (I am seriously working on a calendar of things-to-do around here for every holiday.)
I gotta say, it was a little bizarre to wake up in October and see snow falling outside...and lots of it.
BUT, I did promised them...so I busted out the snow suits, boots, hats, gloves and scarves...
Cale's fireman costume was big, so it fit nicely over his winter coat. 
However, Megersa's preference for the monkey costume had to change.  He went as Spiderman because it was super baggy on him and fit perfectly over his snowsuit.
((I was actually quite disappointed that I took the time and energy to bundle everyone out and tromp around in the snow just to end up with about 10 dum-dum pops a peice...but they didn't complain, so we called it a success...))

Then came the actual Halloween day!!
I had Cale help me with all sorts of chores. He's usually very helpful, but he was super willing and ready that day. ;)    He was pumped. 

About 5 o'clock friends from church surprised us by having their 4-year-old daughter ring our doorbell.  Trick or Treating in our area starts at 6pm, so Tim and I were both perplexed (and unprepared!)...but we opened the door.  
The cutest little policewoman looked up at us and said her perfectly rehearsed line: "Only Treats!"
It took us a minute to get there.... 
It sounded like "Trick or Treat" but didn't have that official Halloween ring to it..... Our minds caught on just about the same time her parents came around the corner laughing at us.  They weren't there to trick-or-treat, but to give us a gift for Pastor Appreciation Month...and to catch us off-guard.  ;)  
After they left it was a mad dash to get dinner in everyone's bellies and costumes on.
I'll admit I enjoy going trick or treating.  Maybe it's because I wasn't really allowed to go as a kid (we were taken to a few choice houses - Grandma, Nan & Pop, Sue Novak.......pretty much just relatives).  And even though I went out a few times as a young teen...there's just no comparison to experiencing the excitment through your own children's eyes.

Okay...I know you're wondering "Where's Megersa?" 
Well, unfortunately he refused to eat his dinner.  We made it a rule that they had to eat before going out. 
Honestly, I'm not a bad mom...I even made a kid-friendly dinner: cheesy noodles with chicken!
M stayed back with Daddy who passed out candy.  He was fine with that and as evidenced above, he got Halloween experience. :)
And lastly, because I forgot to wear MY costume, I put it on, dug in Cale's candy bag to find my favorites...and enjoyed listening to Jerry Seinfield's stand-up bit about Halloween. 
It's a favorite of ours, and quite hilarious. :)

Hope your day (or month) was filled with fun as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment