Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What to do when Daddy is away:

We call for backup.
...Back in November, Tim left for his 2nd over-nighter that occurred within a 2 month span. 
When he shyly brought up the subject, I was less-than-excited. 
Most days (even the long ones) are filled with generally the same things:
Feedings, diapers, potty time, playing, cleanup, naps...more feeding. 
We've got a routine - Its not always easy, or fun, or without timeouts, but...It works. ;) 
Even still...I know all 5 of us look forward to Daddy's arrival. 
Mommy breaths a sigh of relief and everyone is happier! :)

But, so back to his night away.  I was not thrilled to do the morning routine all by myself.
The twins are capable of sleeping until 7 or after without a bottle, but it doesn't always happen. Usually it's more of a 6 am wake-up feed, then sometimes going back to sleep.  Which is fine.... But never have I tackled both wake-ups by myself. 
Ever since Thad favored a nighttime bottle and Shepherd preferred to nurse, we have taken on a man-on-man defense.  And even though both have been completely weaned, at night-time and in the early morning I feed Shep and Tim feeds Thad.  Usually once we get them bottled, we are able to at least lay lazily while the babies coo and crawl around in their cribs.
I tried to mentally prepare myself for a very early morning AND an extremely long day...but my brain refused to hop on the 'enthusiastic' train. 
One of my favorite people in Maryland (Miss Wendy) was listening to me complain about describe my 2 days alone and offered to come over to help! 
AND...she stayed the night!! 
She took Tim's roll and got up with Thaddeus for his 5am feed. 
I love her....and my kids love her. :)
And bonus: She actually is a morning person and not only tended to Thad, but got Megersa and Cale up and fed them breakfast!  I woke up at 8am to the smell of PANCAKES!  :) 
It was DE-lightful!!
She stayed in tandem with me as we busily took care of the kids...meals, potty breaks, naps, bedtime, laundry, dishes... 
She has been coming over our house to hang out with me and the kids almost every Thursday evening since April.  She is wonderful and follows my lead. 
Even still, I actually caught myself talking outloud: "okay...the plan is:" (and on more than one occasion actually).
Wendy did a wonderful job and I was so happy to have her help!
I confident she loves our family, but I'm thinking she was happy to go home to her peaceful home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment