Thursday, August 30, 2012

birthday belated

Birthdays used to be a HUGE deal to me.  Massive. 
I looked forward to it as soon as the summer started. 
Now?  Well, I suppose there's still a little bit of excitement.  I know my hubby will treat me royal and I might get some birthday cash in the mail from the parents...but otherwise, it's not the wonder it once was.  No biggie.
This past birthday I got the chance to be responsibility free for the day.  Not that I spent the day away from my children, but Tim didn't ask me to change one diaper, feed one meal or pick up anything.  Of course, so much of it is in my nature and part of my daily routine...but I did take a free pass on diapers and meals! :)  And I got to take a nice, long, guilt-free nap!!! :)  I also threw together an impromtu ladies night that evening.  We went to the Melting Pot and had their cheese and chocolate fondu!  Yum!! ;) 
To state fact, my birthday is July 31st.  And since Megersa's birthday is in 4 days...I better log away something of my own before I miss it completely.
I know the past 2 years I did 27 and 28 things you didn't know about me...but I just dont know if I can come up with 29 more!  Should I try?  I'd need some encouragement - otherwise I'm going to sneak away and say Happy Belated Birthday to me. 
And for some reference to myself, just list some of the fun NEW shows I've been watching:

Old favorites with new seasons will not get an in-detail mention, but I look forward to the new and sometimes old episodes of The Office, Parks & Rec, Raising Hope, So You Think You Can Dance and Project Runway

Okay, Project Runway is my absolute favorite show.  It reminds me of my friend Jess who would come over with chipotle and indulge with me as we watched each episode!! :)  I wish she still lived close by.  That show is so much more fun to watch with friends.
Now, to the newbies:

Master Chef.  - I enjoy watching any sort of cooking competition.  Did you know that I considered going to culinary school?  I kinda thought my palate isn't refined or experimental enough...  but, maybe some day right?!  Master Chef is great because it's home cooks just doing the cool things they do and pushing themselves to all the challenges that they are faced with.  Apparently there's been 3 seasons out!  I've only caught on to the 3rd season hype - but wish I could find the older episodes!

Drop Dead Diva - I stumbled across this lil gem when I got finished watching the series "switch at birth" with my mom.  I am in LOVE!  I think I watched 3 full seasons on netflix in under a week.  ...yes, I realize that's a lot of shows, but I was HOOKED!  I'm kicking myself for not knowing that the 4th season was up on Hulu and I missed the first 8 episodes...now I'd ruin it for myself if I started that late into the season hoping later to catch up.  I suppose I'll just have to wait for netflix to post them... womp womp womp..........

Switched at Birth - this was a 1 season show that my mom and I initially started watching because we thought it was a movie.  Tim was away with the big boys visiting his family in Ohio...so Grammie came to help me with the twins while I was in the sick stages of pregnancy.  Mom loves to watch shows too, so we watched 15 of the 21 episodes in the 5 days she was here.  Craaaaazy I know.  :)  I think season 2 starts next week!

Downton Abbey - I watched 2 seasons of this show in a matter of days....  I'm not proud of it, but I guess it's my own sleep I forfeited.  I can't tell you how many times I said to myself (or outloud to Tim) "just one more episode...then I'll go to bed." New season doesn't come out until January....in the meantime I better jolly well find something else to do with my nights! :)

Cupcake Wars - There's so many different cupcake and cake shows...and I've seen a few episodes here and there, back when we had cable.  But I got sorta annoyed with the fact the end result was basically a giant pile of (albiet beautifully decorated) fondu on top of cake.  BUT, it wasn't always cake.  Not real cake - could be cake crumbles, rice crispie treats...even wood used as a base.  Not my thang.  However - as I said I enjoy competition...and as I pulled out of the "morning" sickness hump, I began to enjoy looking at foods again.  The challenges were fun with unique themes and I got a kick out of how fast paced everything was.  It's a good one for sure, and I look forward to the new episodes....it's also nice that each episode really has nothing to do with the others, so you can watch out of order with no problems.

Chopped - same thing as above...but with food.  Each chef is given a mystery box and needs to be creative when using each ingredient.  It's a timed challenge so of course everything is a blur! Who knew there were so many different ways to make food - and unique ways at that! :)  I don't care for one of the female judges on the show though, so it gets no where near as high marks as Master Chef, imo.

Once Upon a Time - this show's premise seemed interesting to Tim and I when we initially heard about it...  We didn't get around to watching it when it first came out...but, we have netflix and my mom came one weekend and insisted we watch it together.  I got through 2 episodes.  The cheesy acting and not-so-stellar visuals weren't that appealing to me.  At least initially.  I may also need to admit that my mom telling me what happens in detail in future episodes is also a tad annoying.....  BUT, when she left, I decided to give the next episode or so another go.  And I again, got  hooked.  The fairytale stories drew me in and I was able to overlook the cheese. ;)  I believe season 2 comes out this fall...  Excellent!

If anyone else has some good shows to recommend, lemme know! 
Yeah, I suppose I wish I enjoyed reading as much as I enjoy television...but...we can't all be the same, can we?! :)  I have friends regardless.  haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment