Thursday, August 16, 2012

caterpillars and jellyfish

Cale's always been a bug guy...  He digs through our recycling bin to get containers for each and every one.  Don't worry, he's allowed to do that, b/c we don't blame him...too many a brother has made him cry by squishing the life out of his 'treasures'.
I quite enjoy watching him care for and ask question about God's design.  BUGS?  God created bugs and there's a lesson in everything! :)
I'm actually pleased this summer he is enjoying the ever-present caterpillars as opposed to last years' stink bug infestation collection. :/
Cale spends quality time outdoors (with and without his younger brothers) just catching, holding and feeding his caterpillars.  ...I'm glad the supply is high because they do usually end up dead...
No matter.  He presses on.  Every day he finds several and asks which kinds he has (and I suppose he's looking for an answer other than "green" or "fuzzy" but I'm not sure...thank goodness for google!).

He also has a deep interest in jellyfish.  Most fish in general can hold his attention, but for some reason he is captivated by the jellyfish.  He wants to know everything about them - how do they swim? why don't they have eyes? why they sting? how much does it hurt? will they kill you? can we catch one?...  It's pure fascination!  Tim and I plan to take the kids to the Baltimore aquarium one of these days and while I'm pretty sure all of the boys will love it....I'm certain Cale will be the one we have to drag out of there!! :)

...so that's it.  I wanted to capture this moment in time.  My big boy who is Kindergarten bound in a few short days is going to LOVE science class.  :)

Oh, I had to share these pics...because apparently the bug love is mutual. 
This poor kid gets EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes.  
(And I'm sparing you the naked shot...b/c underneath those clothes there is so much more pink skin.)


No comments:

Post a Comment