Friday, August 31, 2012

school days

School is in session.
Cale is out of the house from 8:30am til about 4pm.

Here's some of the changes we're seeing as we adjust to 3 kids at home:
*There is less fighting. ;)  My youngest 3 are actually only 18 months apart so they tend to enjoy the same things.  Megersa still refers to them as "the babies" and does actually try to baby them (which they dont care for unfortunately)...but he's figuring out how to play with them...
*With Megersa assuming his role as big brother, we've had to work on the difference between tattle-tailing ("the babies are playing in mud!") and informing Mommy if someone is doing something that is dangerous ("the babies are climbing on the back of the couch...I don't want Thad to fall!").
He's getting there.  And I know in a matter of months when the twins start talking, those 3 will be great buddies!!  
*The fighting that goes on during the day is mainly Thad and Shepherd.  And it goes a lil something like this:
Brother has something I think I would like to play with...I think I'll take it from him. 
Brother is trying to take something I am already holding...I will scream until he leaves me alone.
Brother is in my way, I will crawl over/push/smack him to get him out of my way.
...and the like. :) 
Even with all the tiffs that go on between them, I find their bond astonishing.  I love it that they are most excited to see each other in the morning and are developing their own sort of "language" to communicate.
Correction can be challenging with 18 month olds, but T & S are working very hard starting now to understand that they should "not hurt each other but try to be 'gentle' by giving hugs and kisses" - and it's sinking in slowly.  When they hear the word "gentle" they often stop what they are doing and begin to pet each other....yesterday they ran at each other to give kisses.  It was pretty funny...such finesse! ;)
*I can't say that I have "loads" more free time now that Cale is in school during the day...but what I do have is a naptime that is uninterrupted for at least 2 hours.  Admittedly I set aside about an hour for me to nap/rest...but mainly I just find it refreshing to be able to read quietly, blog, or clean up/catch up on housework.  Today's extra hour allowed me to mop the floor and clean the stovetop & microwave!   I also have a bit more time to prep meals, though I really do miss my cooking buddy.
My 3 under 3 try and help - today we 'shucked' the corn together...but tasks are sorta limited for them.
Cale's is somewhat vague about school.  When we question him about each aspect of his day he says he "can't remember" - but if we just let him be, he inadvertently gives us little clips of his day.  My favorite so far is when he models what his teacher has the class do when they are in the hall "hip and lip" - they put one hand on their hip, and the other in the "shush" position at their lip.  I'll try to get a pic of him doing it! ;)  He seems to enjoy singing time and quite likes art class.  Today he said they counted to 110 which I know he loved b/c he is great with numbers.
He's enjoying himself and while he does admit "school is too long" I know it's all part of the adjustment.  We are so proud of the little man he's becoming!!

While Cale is away and I'm able to take a younger approach to teaching life skills, we worked on staying focused on a quiet activity.  Megersa chose coloring.  M has the lightest touch and the page he draws on almost never looks colored...but he quite enjoys exclaiming "look what I drew Mommy!" - Thad likes to take the crayons out of the case and put them back in until he gets bored and throws them on the floor.....he's not much into the coloring, but is pretty darn good with his fine motor skills.
My dear Sheppy has the wow factor in the arts department.  It's actually quite shocking.  I honestly never did more than hand him some crayons but he can hold a pencil/pen/crayon the exact right way!  I noticed it awhile back and thought it was a fluke...but now he can do it with both hands!  He loves to color...and his whole page is filled with different shades of scribbles.

Look at this pic half-way into our morning "activity":
It's baffling to me.  And here's the video taken by Daddy later in the day (because he started showing off his mad skills again!):

 I'll bet he's our artsy one. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment