Sunday, December 30, 2012

the middle hours of the day

For the most part, the littles seem to welcome nap time.
Which I really appreciate....
When Cale's not in school his "quiet time" is usually not very quiet (unless he's engrossed in a movie), but that's not what we're talking about here...

Strictly before nap is lunchtime and that is usually a whirlwind of trying to get enough food on my kids plates (the twins dont eat much breakfast for whatever reason, so by 11:30 they are cranky and apparently "starved")... It is by far the most quickly eaten meal, so I'm in always a rush to get enough food, but not too much before they start throwing their sippy cups and trying to wiggle out of their highchairs.  Long ago, I stopped trying to eat when they eat, because it's pretty much useless...by the time I get their food on their trays and go back to make my own, they're done and want OUT!
I should really time the process...from when they climb in their chairs to when they are out.  I swear it's gotta be about 15 minutes MAX (for the twins I mean...Megersa could sit in his chair all day)!!
So, then it's the prep for bed.  Wiping hands/faces...brushing teeth, getting milk ready...having M poop on the potty...new diapers, finding favorite blankets, binkies and "babies"........  Its like a marathon running up and down the steps with each child.  But I get giddy with excitement when I close those doors.  As I take my final walk down the steps I usually breathe a sigh of relief out loud.
And when I sit down to eat my lunch Neve kicks me, to let me know that I've woken her by sitting and also to make sure I'm not completely "alone" in my silence. ;)
When I'm full I usually do a few things...pick up around the house, maybe switch out a load of laundry or run the dishwasher...but then the anticipation sets in, as I march up the steps in hopes to find sleeping children. Most days the kids fall asleep without a problem, but there are some days where one of them can't seem to settle and I need to reinforce my position on nap time.
"Lay down.  No talking.  Close your eyes."  ...That's a stressor.  I know they need sleep, but they fight it.  I can't imagine why...
There are a few days that I don't nap myself, but those days are rare...  Because even if I get lost in a show I haven't watched on Hulu, or my creative side pulls me in to a project, after about an hour at most I feel wiped.  Pregnancy and care of young children will do that to ya I guess.
On the good days that no one makes a peep and I creep in their room to take a closer look. I'm always overcome with love.  ((When they're already asleep I mean.... ;)) 
So peaceful, so beautiful, so darling!!
Honestly, sometimes I wanna just scoop each one of them up and smooch on them...but I dare not.
Shepherd might be okay with some petting, because he is the one who required the most hands-on soothing in the past.  Thad will let me play with his hair a little bit, but he usually can tell right away if I come in and will open his eyes or try to get up to see what's going on, so I usually just peek in on him.  And Megersa??  I must be careful not to walk on the wrong floorboards in case they creak and wake him up!
...Even on sleeping days I get anxious wondering when the silence will break.  Sometimes it hinders my own ability to fall asleep.  "What was that noise?  Is he awake?  I wonder if I should go check on them again..."
If I do fall asleep, I usually feel refreshed (once I can pull myself out of bed), but on days like yesterday where I woke up, looked at the clock to read 2:30p then fell right back to sleep until after 3p - I feel totally zonked.  I stumbled out of bed and realize at least one, if not 2 or 3 of them are already awake and starting to get irritated. 
And with the flick of a switch, round 3 begins. 

1 comment: